Shih Tzu are hypoallergenic dogs that don’t shed much. They were originally bred in China. The dog breed is also referred to as the Chinese Lion Dog. This is because of their lion-like appearance. A Shih Tzu is intelligent, playful and gentle with children. The non-shedding dog breed is courageous despite their small size.
They produce very little of the dog allergens that cause allergic reactions in their saliva, dander and urine. Unlike most dogs who have fur, this tiny dog breed has hair. The non-shedding dog has a double coat. Their most common coat colors include gold, dark brown, black and white, brindle, silver, blue and black.
These small dogs are also very loving and love human companionship. A Shih Tzu has a lifespan of up to 16 years which are mostly spent relaxing – the dog needs little exercise. The dog breed lives comfortably alongside other pets, including cats. This makes the hypoallergenic Shih Tzu great for people of all ages.
Shih Tzu Hypoallergenic Dogs
Shih Tzu are hypoallergenic dogs. But some people will still get an allergic reaction with even the hypoallergenic dog breeds.
The following are ways to reduce the chances of getting allergic reaction whenever you come into contact with your Shih Tzu.
- Wash the dog regularly – You should bathe your Shih Tzu once every week. Excessive bathing can cause dog skin to become too dry and shed more dander. A gentle and moisturizing shampoo will greatly help to remove dander and loose hair. Apply a good conditioner after blow-drying your dog (preferably outdoors!). This will keep the dog’s skin healthy.
- Regular grooming helps – Some Shih Tzu dogs have short curly hair. Others have long flowing hair. Both of these coats need regular grooming and brushing – preferably daily. Any loose hair will come off during the grooming process.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to remove any fallen dog hair. One should also clean the dog’s favorite resting places and places where dog hair gets trapped often, for example in any crevices on furniture and doors.
- Keep the dog hair short – dogs who have a shorter coat of hair are usually easier to clean and groom. Trimming a Shih Tzu’s hair also reduces the amount of hair that can be shed.
- Limit the dog’s access to the places you spend most time in, especially the bedroom. In addition, your Shih Tzu’s bedding should be made of washable materials. This will greatly reduce the amount of dander you come into contact with.
- Wash your hands whenever you come into contact with a dog. This is also a good hygiene habit for all pet owners.
- Invest in a good HEPA-certified air purifier to reduce the amount of allergens in the air you breathe
It is also advisable to spend some time with the dog before you buy them. This is because there is no dog breed that is 100% hypoallergenic. Remember that dog allergies usually go away on their own with time.
People also become less prone to pet allergies as they age. Shih Tzu are hypoallergenic dogs who are very popular. The Shih Tzu and Tibetan terrier are also referred to as the chrysanthemum dog breeds. Both don’t shed.